Monday, March 21, 2011

Microwave Hollandaise Sauce

Green Bean Benedict--a quick but tasty dinner (we usually do this with Broccoli, but I was out, so I improvised and it was still delicious)

I know that the word microwave doesn't sound like it should be anywhere near Hollandaise Sauce.  Hollandaise Sauce should be a venture fraught with peril--carefully adding a chunk of butter at a time to your egg yolks and lemon juice over a double boiler, hoping and praying it doesn't curdle.

I thought this was the only way--consequently I never made Hollandaise Sauce.  However, I noticed the microwave directions in the margin of my trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook one day over a decade ago.  I tried it and it was delicious!  I have never, ever had this recipe fail.  We serve it over fish, steamed veggies like broccoli, green beans or asparagus or on one of our favorite recipes from my mother-in-law, Veggie Benedict (just like Eggs Benedict but with a steamed green veggie--usually broccoli--instead of the poached egg).  I'm regrettably the only one in my family who likes poached eggs.

So, here are the steps:
1. Gather:
1/2 cup (1 cube) butter
1 T. lemon juice (fresh is best, but I'm not above using the concentrated stuff if I don't have any lemons hanging around)
1 T. water
3 egg yolks, separated from the whites

2. Put your egg yolks in a large microwaveable bowl or Pyrex measuring cup. Stir the yolks until mixture is smooth.

3. Put butter, lemon juice and water in a Pyrex measuring cup.


4. Microwave for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until butter is melted. 
5. Whisk melted butter into egg yolks, pouring slowly. 


6. When the two mixtures are smoothly combined, cook in microwave for 30-40 seconds, stopping every 10 seconds to stir (and try to ignore the spooky reflection of a woman with a camera).  I find it easiest to just cook for 10 seconds at a time rather than set it for the full 30 seconds.  You can resurrect it, but it is better  not to overcook your sauce.

7. It is done when it has thickened and doesn't run easily off a spoon.  It will be the consistency of runny pudding.

Hint: If it does curdle, add 3-4 drops very hot tap water and whisk like a mad woman (or man :) ) until it looks smooth again.

Also, if you're wondering and need more instruction, Veggie Benedict is simple.  It is just an English muffin toasted and lightly buttered, which you top with ham and a slice of Swiss cheese, then broil until the cheese melts.  You top with steamed veggies (we usually use broccoli because all the kids like it and it's so nutritious) and tippy-top with Hollandaise Sauce.  Eat with a knife and fork.  It really is great.  If you can go the egg route because your family members have taste ;), use a poached egg instead of the broccoli.  Still great.

Bon appetit!

I'm linking up to:   Tasty Tuesday over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam   AND

4 comments:

  1. I could curdle water... burn it, ruin it, whatever. BUT, this sauce looks relatively easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making this tonight! Wish me luck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it and it turned out great! I also bought an egg poacher insert thingy for my frying pan and poached some eggs (a first for me...) and had real Eggs Benedict. Our foodie friends who were over for dinner raved about the sauce and eggs. Thanks for demystifying hollandaise sauce for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Brynn! I love eggs benedict, too. I'm glad it all turned out well. I wish I could have been there (and only a small part of that wish has to do with the yummy food).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I love to read what other people think!